June 6, 2008

Buffy 101

During my daily online news briefing an article caught my eye, "Buffy goes to college (again)". I have a confession to make, I totally like science fiction and I do love Buffy the Vampire Slayer.


I had the opportunity to watch the whole series during my 4 1/2 month stint on bedrest with my first pregnancy. There are several books and series in popular culture that have enough of a cult following for people to actually look deeply into the mythology and themes to make up some crazy classes. Don't get me wrong as a humanities major I have read texts and dug deep in there to make an argument for it's feminist, homoerotic, post-colonial or some other equally obscure theme. I was a humanities major more by default than anything but seriously where were these classes when I was in college? I want to take a class about Harry Potter, Buffy or even Star Wars rather than spending a whole semester on Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Pardonez moi, the nerd in me just needed a moment to escape!

No comments: