July 6, 2010

You can thank me later

In honor of all of the summer BBQ parties I thought I'd share with you the yummiest BBQ sauce around. I promise! It's the perfect mixture of spice, sweet and tang and we've had it with both ribs and chicken and it doesn't disappoint.

{Sarah Yates Photography via Once Wed}

Chipotle Maple Barbecue Sauce
{from Fresh Everyday}
Makes about 4 cups

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 chipotle peppers in adobo, diced
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
Juice of 2 lemons
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Colman's dry mustardAdd Image
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Combine the tomatoes, maple syrup, brown sugar, chipotle peppers, vinegar, Worcestershire, apple cider, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, salt and black pepper in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and stir to mix. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until the sauce is thick and reduced by about one quarter. This sauce will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

3 comments:

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a new BBQ sauce, thanks for sharing this one. It is 11:30 at night and I just brushed my teeth and I am drooling reading this recipe, that is a good sign!

Kathleen said...

maple syrup AND chipotle? I must make this.