July 9, 2008

We're off!

Today I'm headed to Nebraska to visit my grandparents with the hubs and kids. This will be the first time I have taken the littles back and I'm so excited. We are headed to a little town called Hastings, both my mom and dad are from there so I spent a lot of time there as a child. I have probably romanticized it just a tad (in my own head) but I really can't wait to take the kids there to show them the places that I loved.


Fisher Fountain was kitty-corner from my grandparents old house so you could see it at night, I loved it! It's a landmark from the Great Depression built as a symbol of hope during such a difficult time.


My other favorite spot was the Hastings Museum of Natural and Cultural History. I couldn't get enough of the wildlife dioramas.


Not to mention Hastings is the birthplace of Kool-Aid, whoo hoo! I haven't actually had the pleasure of attending Kool-Aid days but what the hell maybe one of these days.

I would have loved to have shared some more photos but couldn't really find any. I did find a historic one of my grandparent's old house where my mom grew up and where they lived when I would visit them as a child but all I could come up with was a link, (so if you have time scroll through the slideshow to the 1136 N. St. Joseph one). I guess a town like this is probably where I get my love of all things old.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

YEAHHHH Have a great time!!! Drink lots of Kool-Aid for us.

benson said...

I love going back to my hometown (even though I've lived in AZ longer than there!)Enjoy!

Nicole Stephenson said...

Don't forget about the rattlesnake sister! I hope it's still there. :) The Littles will love it! And also, thanks for not mentioning anything about Runzas...those are so delicious!

simply seleta said...

Haven't seen the Kool-Aid guy since 5th grade when I used to eat the powder from a ziplock bag [a highly nutritious snack].

simply seleta said...

P.S. Have a fun trip!!!

dee said...

Wow, who knew it was the birthplace of Kool-Aid! Have a fab trip!

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

welcome to nebraska! i am just down the road from hastings...seward. have a fabulous time!

another claim for hastings: yahoo just recently named it nebraska's greenest city! not sure what they did to get the title, but its a title all the same!

there are some great vintage consignment stores on the main drag too. great stuff!

Sarah's Fab Day said...

Thanks for the sweet comments ladies, we have had a wonderful time. I haven't had any Kool-Aid, but Leetle Seest I did have a Runza today and MMMMM.