August 6, 2010

Cuckoo for school supplies

Summer is coming to an end here, school starts for Big on Tuesday. I'm excited for him because he's so excited for first grade. This year for his class instead of going out and buying school supplies I just have to write a check for the whole year that includes all supplies and field trips. While it's mighty convenient, he (really me) was bummed that we didn't have to go out and get school supplies.


There's nothing better than fresh clean folders and brand new crayons, am I right? I think this might be one of those things where I become a total weirdo because I'm super picky about all writing utensils. Last year when we bought pencils for home I had to get the more expensive black Ticonderogas because a jar full of black pencils looks much better than that awful yellow color. And those Pink Pearl erasers? Junk. I have to get the white Pentel erasers that are perfection in every way, well as far as erasers go. Those supply lists are brutal because they're so specific and I get what it says on the list but I almost couldn't buy the Crayola colored pencils last year. I remember being a kid and getting my hands on a pack of Prismacolors and wondering where they had been all my life. The colors were so vibrant, they didn't look like my work had faded in the sun. Crummy regular colored pencils would never do. So maybe since Big (and me) can't go out and buy school supplies we need to make a trip to an office supply store and load up. I think Primsacolors might be just what the doctor ordered for these last days of summer.

6 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

You're a rarity! As someone who has worked in a public school, I can tell you that most parents would have a FIT if the teacher requested Prismacolors. The Crayola ones are listed because the majority would send some awful no-name brand with their kid if given the choice. Crayola is decent, without being overly expensive.

Don't get me started on the cheap glue sticks some parents like to buy!!! :)

BusyB said...

oh yes back to school!!!! Love shopping : ) What a great IDEA for the whole payment thing!!!! At my daughters School they dont let anyone use anything that is not on the list....so we had to keep all those cute cat folders and neat erasers and what not....it was kind of mean. So this Year we are going to have to stick to the LIST.

1st grade IS THE BEST!!!!!

Luvs2dance said...

I do have to admit I agree with you about the Colored Pencils - having a costume design class in college taught me about Prismacolors - it a whole new world!

Unknown said...

My guy is starting preschool in two weeks and I can't believe I am actually going to be buying any supplies. It makes me a wee bit sad. We are off to Staples to grab some goodies because Target's selection wasn't what I'd hoped. Maybe you could get some supplies for yourself for home... Enjoy your weekend.

Jaimee said...

Oh, man! Nothing better than school supplies. Nothing at all. Go buy some -- a composition notebook or three for me. (PS I think I became a journalist so I would always have a reason to buy pens and notebooks.)

Emily said...

I honestly don't know the difference... when you grow up with a mom, dad, and sister who use nothing but the best arts and crafts, it's hard to expect nothing but the best. I will forever be in awe of the markers of perfection that I used in the office of interior design while I was growning up.