January 9, 2012

Make It :: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Curry and Coconut Milk

This is my latest obsession. I've been making it every week and I think I finally got the recipe just about perfect.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Curry and Coconut Milk
(adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)

1 Butternut squash
3 Tbl. butter
1 Medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbl fresh minced garlic
1/2 Tbl minced fresh ginger
1/2 Tbl curry powder
5 cups chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk (I use the light coconut milk)


Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half and remove strings and seeds. Place each squash half face down on on baking sheet with sides. Add 1/2 cup water to baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes. After squash is roasted and cooled, scoop out flesh and set aside.

Put butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. When butter is melted add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is cooked about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add squash, garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook until fragrant about 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cover and let cook for about 10 minutes.

Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pan. Add coconut milk, season to taste and and keep on low heat for another 10-15 minutes so the flavors meld.

*Cooks note:  An immersion blender is invaluable kitchen tool if you love to make soup. Everything can be made in one pot so it makes life and cleanup much easier.

{1}

1 comment:

mamacita said...

Good timing. I just found a bag of cubed butternut squash in my freezer and wondered what I could do with it. I think I even have coconut milk on hand. Lucky me.